These are the technical requirements necessary for your online courses to run properly. Please read this information carefully, as you must ensure that your computer is properly configured.
Operating Systems and Hardware Specifications
Any computer (desktop or laptop) running one of the following Operating Systems (OS).
- Windows: Windows 7 (SP1 or later), Windows 8 or 8.1, or Windows 10 or newer.
- Mac: OS X 10.12 (Sierra) or higher
Please note that tablets (including iPads, Kindles) and Chromebooks are not supported for attending MSFLive and taking quizzes exams. We do realize you may be utilizing those types of devices while completing your online assignments, such as watching course videos or using eBook readers for accessing some of your textbooks.
- Windows: Windows 1.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or faster processor (or equivalent)
- Mac: 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo or faster (or equivalent)
Random Access Memory (RAM): 2 GB minimum, 4 GB+ recommended. The more RAM your computer has, the more efficient it is able to run applications.
Minimum Available Hard Disk Space: 2 GB
Internet Bandwidth: Broadband Internet with minimum 2 Mbps upload/download speed. (Wired connection recommended for taking online proctored exams).
- Working webcam (internal or external) and microphone
- Telephone headset with built-in microphone (for audio while attending MSFLive). Wired headset is recommended, as Bluetooth headsets can be problematic, use them at your own discretion.
Attending MSFLive: We recommend a PC or Mac for attending MSFLive sessions. Mobile devices are not compatible with the software MSFLive uses for sharing your webcam.
Web Browser Requirements
The following web browsers are supported and tested:
For Windows Operating Systems:
- Chrome* (latest version) (recommended), http://www.google.com/chrome
- Firefox (latest version), http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
- Internet Explorer version 11 (for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 only)
- Microsoft Edge (latest version). Comes pre-installed with Windows 10. We recommend using the auto-update feature of Windows 10 to keep up to date.
- Please note Internet Explorer and Edge can be used for attending MSFLive, but not for taking exams when online proctoring is used.
For Mac Operating Systems:
- Chrome* (latest version) (recommended): http://www.google.com/chrome
- Firefox (latest version): http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
- Safari (latest version) : Accessed via App Store on your Mac
- Cookies Must Be Enabled on your Browser
A cookie is a small file that is placed on your computer by the server. Cookies are a very common Internet technology used by many websites, such as Amazon or eBay. Your browser has a setting that allows you to control whether you allow cookies or not. If you are unsure whether your browser is set up properly, please call the Personal Support Center.
- Pop-up Blockers must be disabled when taking Quizzes and Exams with online proctoring.
Required Plug-ins and Add-In’s
- Adobe Connect Desktop Application (for attending MSFLive): https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/connect-downloads-updates.html#Application
- Examity Browser Add-In (Chrome and Firefox)
Installed when taking exams using Examity proctoring, and automatically uninstalled when Examity is closed.
- Microsoft .NET framework 4.5.2 (for Windows OS): Installed when MiniTab Express is installed. (Instructions for obtaining MiniTab Express will be provided in the Financial Econometrics (MSFO 824) course).
Taking Exams using Online Proctoring: Please note that for online quiz and exam proctoring, Tablets and Mobile Devices are not supported.
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
Your courses will include the use of .pdf files. You can download a free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/
Your courses may include Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint presentations. If you do not have Microsoft Office installed on your computer, you may install and use online viewers to view the course materials. Information about viewers can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/979860/supported-versions-of-the-office-viewers.
Additionally, check out the UIS Technology Services for New Students page for additional information regarding free software, software discounts, and other technology related services for GU students found here: https://uis.georgetown.edu/getting-started/new-students.
All of the supported operating systems have built-in utilities for creating and opening .zip files. Your courses may require you to create .zip files, please become familiar with how to do so.
Zoom (Video Conferencing)
Periodically, the Program will use Zoom for video conferencing. Students typically use it for study sessions and to stay in touch with classmates. Zoom is a video conferencing tool that allows users to host and join online meeting, chat and collaborate.