Georgetown University's online Master of Science in Finance (MSF) program transforms today's best professionals into rising industry leaders. Created by the distinguished faculty of the McDonough School of Business, this world-class curriculum and revolutionary blended online learning platform deliver the essential skills to take your finance career to the next level. The program is available either part-time or full-time over 21 months for the traditional track or 10 months for the (full-time) accelerated track.
Developing the Next Leaders in Finance
As an MSF student, you learn firsthand from a faculty of accomplished scholars and teachers. Our program provides working professionals and recent undergraduates — from anywhere in the world — the opportunity to deepen their business and technical finance skills, and experience a Georgetown University education where faculty are committed to high-quality teaching.
Accelerated or Traditional Options
Engage in a finance degree program that offers a curriculum of intensive coursework, real-world applications, a global outlook, and a commitment to ethical values. In just 10 (full-time accelerated track) or 21 months (a full-time or part-time traditional track), you'll complete a deep dive into finance more quickly and thoroughly than a typical MBA can offer.
Students in the traditional and accelerated tracks are seamlessly integrated into a single cohort to encourage camaraderie and colearning among classmates. This means they all take the first-year courses in the traditional track together. The most notable difference is that students in the accelerated track also enroll in courses that students in the traditional tracks take in their second year in the program.
As with the traditional tracks, students in the accelerated track use Georgetown’s cutting-edge blended online learning platform, which combines asynchronous materials with synchronous weekly MSFLive classes held in the pioneering Blended Classroom – where students have the option to attend class in-person or online and receive the same educational experience. This platform provides students the flexibility to work on course materials wherever they are in the world and virtually whenever it fits best within their weekly schedules. All students also take the in-person residency course as well as the capstone Global Consulting Project course, where student teams apply the expertise acquired in the program to a consulting project for an international firm or organization. The students then travel to make an in-person presentation to the client.
"The deep financial knowledge and real-world experience I gained in the MSF Program allowed for a seamless transition into investment banking upon graduation. That transition was made possible because of the individual support provided by the faculty, the program office, and career services team. Their expert advice and one-on-one advising was invaluable in helping me make decisions about my future."
Madeline Perez, B’18, MSF’20. Technology Investment Banking Associate, Telos Advisors
Graduate from Georgetown University with your MSF degree and join global financial leaders with a depth of knowledge that includes:
- The ability to value stocks, bonds, and derivatives using cutting-edge valuation methods
- A comprehensive understanding of how to evaluate corporate investment projects in a strategic context
- An appreciation for the importance of ethical decision-making
- The ability to construct an efficient portfolio using the latest techniques for estimating expected returns and risks
- A thorough understanding of how markets work according to the Efficient Market Hypothesis and the alternative hypothesis of Behavioral Finance
- The ability to blend sophisticated modeling with a global mindset in the management of corporate risks
- An understanding of big data analysis using programming languages such as Python (for students who take the Advanced Financial Modeling and Big Data elective courses).
"The program’s flexibility allows students to attend MSFLive sessions online or in-person which represents the ideal platform for me to pursue my degree at Georgetown."
– Alec, MSF Alumni
The MSF program follows a cohort model and is available in part-time or full-time formats consisting of:
- Six Core Courses
- Six Elective Courses
- Orientation – two days in the summer prior to program start
- A weeklong Financial Markets Residency – October of the first year
- Capstone Global Consulting Project Residencies – consisting of an intensive team prep weekend in April on campus followed by the global trip residency in May of the second year
Learn more about our dynamic Master of Science in Finance (MSF) curriculum.
Our part-time option is designed for established professionals who would like to complete their degree while they continue to work. The full-time option is designed for students who want to pursue their graduate degree immediately after earning their undergraduate degree, desire to complete a summer internship, or are between full-time positions.
Learn more about our part-time and full-time program options, review our FAQs section, or contact a program advisor at (866) 531-4825.
Transforming the Learning Experience
As a student in Georgetown University's MSF program, you interact with faculty and fellow students via a revolutionary online learning platform. Our dynamic asynchronous learning management system combines collaborative and cognitive tools to maximize student engagement and interaction throughout the program. We call this immersive learning platform Anytime Media. It's rich with virtual lessons, practice opportunities, case study discussions, and live debates of real-world problems to deliver a deeper understanding of complex course material.
Our distinguished faculty use this cutting-edge technology to provide interactive learning experiences. We use the case method of instruction, placing students in real-world business scenarios to guide collaborative discussions. Each course includes a weekly 90-minute synchronous evening session that we call MSFLive.
Through our MSF Blended4 Experience, you will encounter an unparalleled mix of flexibility, academic rigor, and global business training that enables you to reach the maximum return on your investment.
Explore our innovative platform and read more about our blended approaches.
Why You'll Prefer Georgetown's MSF Learning Platform
Become immersed in a rich learning experience using these innovative tools:
- The Georgetown MSF Blended4 Experience: With our Blended Classroom approach, online and in-person students interact as if they are next to one another during the MSFLive sessions. While our program can be completed 100% online with the exception of the required on-site residencies, you have the opportunity to attend MSFLive sessions in person whenever you'd like. Plus, you can transition between part-time and full-time status as needed. Throughout the program, you can take advantage of student support services, including career services, that are tailored to you and delivered both online and in person.
- Anytime Media Platform: Each week, you work through the course material — at a time of your choosing — using our Anytime Media platform. The primary component of this technology is the Professor Presentations, a sequential series of high-fidelity videos in which professors speak directly to students with a virtual whiteboard. Each Professor Presentation comes with a searchable transcript so students can search key words or phrases and be taken to the corresponding moment in the video. Our Anytime Media also consists of practice problems, team discussion posts, and other materials.
- MSFLive: The weekly culmination of each course unit is a 90-minute MSFLive evening session where you participate in a case discussion with your professor and classmates. Cases involve real-world business problems faced by actual firms and require you to apply what you've learned in your assigned readings and from Anytime Media. Students often use their MSFLive learning to address pressing business challenges in their daily work.
Gain Immersive, Real-World Experience
This finance degree is enhanced with on-campus and in-the-field components to further immerse you in the vibrant Georgetown University community of students, scholars, faculty, professionals, and policymakers.
During the weeklong Financial Markets Residency, you work on a case competition alongside fellow students and McDonough School of Business faculty. As a McDonough student, you are welcome to visit the campus for seminars, conferences, and talks featuring our renowned faculty and their colleagues from other leading universities, as well as prestigious alumni and top financial professionals from around the world.
In the capstone Global Consulting Project, students apply their coursework and skills to conduct a real-world consulting project for an international firm and take their final presentation abroad in a weeklong visit to the client's country. The capstone project marks the end of your journey to your MSF degree. It also provides an invaluable and relevant experience that students can immediately apply to their current or upcoming career in finance.
MSF Student Life: Become a Georgetown Hoya
When you enroll in our online master's in finance program, you are part of the Georgetown family. Each online student receives a GoCard, which grants access to campus buildings. As a Georgetown student, you are invited to attend events on campus, including sporting events and lectures. Many events are available virtually, as well.
We encourage all McDonough School of Business online learners to join our top-notch organizations, such as Women in Finance, which provides women in the program a chance to network and learn more from leaders in the industry. Our online MSF students often have the opportunity to participate in competitions, including the Peeptrade University Challenge.
No matter where you are, opportunities are plentiful to experience all the benefits of being a Georgetown Hoya.